Monday, August 27, 2007

Art...

We started their new Art book today. I like this program. It's called Artistic Pursuits. There are different books for different age levels and the artwork they use can be found in the National Gallery of Arts. Chagall, Monet, Jean-Baptiste, Renoir, Signac are just a few of the ones that we'll be seeing in our book this year.

Today we studied a picture from Jean-Baptiste-Camille Corot called 'The Pond', a painting of a tree lined pond with a few cows being watered and cooled off by a man sitting under some trees, who you didn't really notice except he had a small red cap on . I pulled up some of his paintings from the National Gallery of Art. That is a neat website. We talked about the details in the painting and then they were to go outside, sketch pad and pencils in hand, and find detailed things in nature...leaves, twigs, insects and then moving on up to bird's nests, trees, cloud formations, and animals. They were to draw some of the things they saw. I think they did rather well!



















2 comments:

Sarah @ Ordinary Days said...

What a peaceful day. Can you post some of their drawings?

MJ said...

I'll have to post some. That day they were to draw some of the items they saw so the drawings are a bit small. They'll be doing more as we go along and I'll post those.