Who can resist a fluffy little chirping biddie? Definitely not I or my kids! I had decided to purchase 25 more biddies for our farm. I have had many people ask for eggs and I don't have nearly enough to sell or even to eat for ourselves!I got the call from the post office early Friday morning that I had 'a package' that needed to be picked up. The guy sounded like he wasn't all that thrilled with the peeping I could hear echoing in the backround! LOL. I told him I'd be on my way shortly and he replied, "We open in 15 minutes". I took that as a little hint to get there soon.
We did have one loss out of the batch of 26 and was refunded for that loss (thank you Murray McMurray hatchery). They so far are a nice company to do business with. The lady I spoke with on the phone was very helpful.
I do believe we have Australorps (Yay!), Barred Rocks, either Buff Orpington's or Buff Rocks, we think we have one White Rock and maybe some Red Stars or Wyanndottes. It's hard to tell some of the chicks because they look similar to other chicks of different breeds. So we shall see in a month or so once they start really feathering out.
The poor dears are so hot though. We don't even put their heat light on until it starts getting dark and we have a fan running for them during the daylight hours. It's not directly on them, but the air hits the sides of the pen and circulates around. I find them frequently laying around where the wind is blowing.
Speaking of chickens, the fighting rooster has found a new home with my little crippled chicken the kids affectionately called 'Limpy'. She really couldn't be with my big rooster anymore. I was afraid he would injure her. The other rooster is much smaller and lighter. They can hang out now at my friends house.
I'm now down to 7 laying hens as of now...soon enough though I'll have over 30 providing no others die. Fingers crossed!

No comments:
Post a Comment