Tuesday, August 28, 2007

What have I gotten myself into?

J plays soccer where we live. He seems to enjoy it and it gives him an outlet to burn off some energy during the week. This will be his 3rd year. Hopefully I won't be getting shots of him looking up at the planes overhead or picking blades of grass, as I have in previous years (see pic at left!), LOL!

He is playing in the U-10 league. He missed the U-8 cut off by 2 weeks. He is going to be the tiniest U-10 kid out there! He's tough though. Last year he got socked in the face with the ball and also in the stomach. He did cry a little (but then again so would I if it were me!), but after he recouped, he went back out and played.

Well it's that time of year again and they are in desperate need of coaches. They had a coaches meeting last night at the library and I decided to go at the last minute. I got to hear that they have over 400 kids registered and plan to have more than that since some people register late. There are 5 U-10 boys teams and 3 U-10 girls teams. So far there was only 1 coach for the boys teams. As I listened to all the effort that was put into this league (which is all voluntary), I just couldn't sit there (well I guess I could, but I would have felt guilty) knowing that I could possibly fit another activity into my already busy world and didn't really want to yet...just chicken I guess!

But when they asked if there were any that were hesitant about coaching and would like training to do so, my arm and hand slowly went up...BAD ARM!

So I am now the coach of my son's U-1o league. Right now I have 10 players 4 of which played together last year and I know their families. I will probably have a few more since we may not have enough coaches and so they'll have to disperse a team or two onto the others. Looks like I also have a set of twins on my team...I hope they aren't identical and if they are they have some identifying feature that I can tell them apart...if not, the poor kids, I'll probably be calling them each others names the whole season!

Wish me luck! I think I'm going to need it! LOL!

2 comments:

Sarah @ Ordinary Days said...

You are a brave, brave woman! Good luck.

MJ said...

yeah, I'm thinking I may have lost my mind! LOL!