Wednesday, November 14, 2007

New Chickens and Eggs are peeping!

The kids and I went last night and picked up 3 hens and a roo from a friend of ours. It's always easiest to catch them once they are roosting for the night. We got them home, clipped their wings, set them on another roost outside the main hen house, and left them for the night. We've had a few scuffles already, but nothing like the last rooster that was here. The new roo is quite large, but young still, so he's trying to keep his distance for the most part from Mr. Roo. I think he may end up in the stew pot though. His legs seem a little weak for his frame being that he's so heavy. The new hens also are a bit fiesty as well, but they'll settle down. I feel horrible for one of the hens though. She has had the crud beat out of her and is missing most of the feathers on her back. She also has large scabs covering a number of areas along her back. The sad part is that the scabs are thick and her skin is trying to heal and it looks painful. I put some corona on it today and I'm contacting a lady to get the little hen a covering for her back to protect it until she heals.

On other news, the 5 little eggs that we have been incubating are starting to peep! They should be hatching out in a couple of days. The kids are very excited.

J also had his interview for his baptism and is ready! He is very excited to be 'bathtized' as he calls it...no matter how many times we say baptize! I guess it's fitting though since the font looks like a giant bath tub! LOL.

And I've had to call the vet today on Pedro again...the front of his head above his eye is swollen and hard to the touch...like it's something under the bone that's swelling...it very much worries me. I took pictures and we'll see what they say about it after looking at them. I'm online trying to research it this morning; goodness only knows what I'll find...

No comments: