Thursday, November 8, 2007

Vet bills....ugh!

We just love having our animals here, but with so many comes many vet bills. Luckily I am able to do the vaccinations for all and small doctoring as needed. That saves a lot. But then there comes the time when someone (namely the horses) has to be seen...I always cringed when I have to tell Steve that I need to take someone in. He knows I don't do it for every little thing and always wants whats best for the animal, but he doesn't always like it since it never happens when we have a little extra money! LOL.

Pedro's eyes had been watering a bit...no biggie. It's been a bit dusty out there. But on Tuesday afternoon I went out and his eye was swollen quite badly. Eyes are nothing to mess around with. I called the vet yesterday and got him in to be seen. We didn't really find anything. His eye was stained and checked. Other than a slight cataract forming (not unusual for a horse that's 17), his eye looked fine. The vet thinks it may be an allergic reaction to a sting or something. He got a steroid injection and some ointment that I have to put in his eye twice a day. While he was sedated, I also had the vet check his teeth and float them if needed. He needed a little here and there and so we had that taken care of. The vet did say that Pedro's teeth looked really good and that whomever had him before took very good care of them. That's really great to hear that his previous owners kept up with his health/care so well.

I'm also happy to say that my saddle and gear for it and Pedro will be shipping on Friday or Monday. I will have to post a pic of him all tacked up. I can't wait! Hopefully no more sore butt, knees and feet! LOL

No comments: