Tuesday, December 4, 2007

The Pigs are gone...

Amazingly enough I'm not at all bothered that they are gone! I was sooooo ready for them to take the their one way trip to Freezer Camp. My wonderful hunter neighbors did the deed for me and we hauled them off to the butchers this morning. The kids weren't bothered much either. They had some questions, but to them it was a big slab of meat I guess...

They were not witness to any of the killing or cleaning, but they went to the shop with us and they can't wait to taste some yummy ham, pork chop, bacon and sausage! Mr. Charlie says that I did a good job feeding them out. That they are going to be quite tender and they were sure nice. He also says that the men did a great job cleaning them up before we brought them in! Thanks fellas...tomorrow I'm taking them homemade bread, a jar of jam and some cookies. They all love that.

I didn't get pics of the hogs hanging-kinda gross really. But the butcher said that together they weighed in at 300 lbs. That did not included the heads or feet. Not bad at all! Next time I do it, I'm going to halve the space, rotate spaces, and use electric wire around the fence...part of the reason I'm glad their gone is that this afternoon I had to fill in a number of holes along the fence line, repair a bunch of the wire and now I need to get someone in here to till the area up and level it out a bit. It's a mess!

We should be picking up most of the meat tomorrow! Mmmmm I can't wait! Fresh pork chops!

No comments: