Thursday, March 20, 2008

If only he knew...

If he knew he was going to be going to Freezer Camp in the near future, then he would not come anywhere near me! LOL...

Today was a bit of a breakthrough. The calf we got turned out to be one of the most standoffish of the bunch. Even the owner was surprised. I told them that it wouldn't take too long for him get used to someone messing with him though. Patience and food seems to always work! I started sitting on a bucket and letting him get used to eating near me, then I moved closer. Then I started trying to touch his forehead. I would leave once he let me touch it without moving away. I had to be sort of quick though since at first he would move away a lot...now I can actually sit there and after a few minutes, I can scratch his whole head, check his ears out and scratch all down his neck. I like to be able to handle or atleast get near and touch all my animals...even the soon to be food ones. I need to be able to keep a check on their weight, trim feet, check eyes/teeth, and tend wounds if needed. He has what looks to be some hair loss around his right ear. I think he's got some itchiness there and I'm going to have to spray something on it...another reason for him to get used to me handling his ears...I've been making a lot of spraying noises too as I sit near him. I would like to be able to use some citronella during the summer for a little fly control. I don't like using a lot of chemicals on my animals, especially the ones we are going to eat, but I hate for them to be tortured by the amount of bugs we have here.

We also are starting to get more pullet eggs! They are so little compared to our older hens' eggs. Little Man likes them for breakfast...call's them his miniature eggs. LOL.

No comments: