
My 2 yr old horse, Charmer, has decided that all bags might swallow him up. He has sat back against three lead ropes, breaking the snaps on two and taking the snap right off another...I'll have to clip it back together. I fixed up the other lead rope that I had and he hasn't been able to get off it yet. It is a very bad habit for him to start so we're tending to it now before it gets out of hand. He is learning to eat with bags hanging above his head, sitting under his feeder, laying around the feed trough, at the tie post, just laying around. Funny thing is, he'll play with tarps and doesn't seem to mind that at all. I don't get it. He'll even grab the bags in the field...goofy boy. I've also been working in the round pen with him a lot. I had the saddle on him yesterday. It was my aussie saddle, but it doesn't fit him properly right now and rides up on his neck a little...he did fine though and trotted around for a bit with it on. I also stood in both stirrups and laid across him. He didn't seem to mind at all. I won't actually start riding him until next year. He is maturing nicely, but slowly and I don't want to mess his legs up. This morning we worked on carrying the bit again and giving to pressure. He did really well. Even backed up nicely with it. I'll work him again tomorrow and then he'll be off until Sunday. I have to attend my Grandfather's memorial service on Friday. I'm flying out on Thursday.


1 comment:
Hey M
Have you tried doing a girth rope with him on the lead breaking? I had a notrious lead breaker gelding once, and the girth rope trick on him. He pulled once, jumped forward. Tried it again after a few thoughts, had the same reaction. He didn't break another lead snap or halter from me or the woman I eventually sold him to. Might work like a... well.. charm...
Post a Comment