Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Baaaaaa....

The fence was finished last week and the sheep have been happily munching away. Steve actually likes seeing them out there now. He got out the push mower on Monday to take care of some spots that are not fenced and I think it took him less than 30 minutes to mow. Not bad at all. I've been working on getting the sheep sheared. I try and do one each day. Hair scissors work great, though a set of electric clippers would be much faster! Steve even mentioned investing in a pair later this year. Unfortunately they are not cheap. He did turn and ask me if we'd be increasing the flock, lol. He likes the sheep, but no, we won't increase. We may replace as needed, but we don't need more of them. We just don't have the room. I would love to refence the whole property because then I could run them in the back with the horses as well. They like to eat things that the horses don't and it would keep some of my weeds down. That would be awesome, lol.

We are planning a shearing day out here soon for the homeschool group that we are a part of. I hope to have some lambs on the ground then.

I'll have to post pics of what we've done later...it's just been too hectic here to even get the blog updated, much less get pictures downloaded.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Unless you have a need for the wool, hair sheep such as the Barbados Blackbelly sheep do not need to be sheared and may adapt better to the heat and humidity of south Louisiana than do wool sheep.