Time went on and though I never got to have lessons or a horse, I did find ways to spend time with some along the way; at a local fair, the Clydesdale's at Bush Garden's, visiting friends that had them, and eventually working at a stable in preparation for my first horse. The stables where I worked raised Paso Fino's. Those little power houses were such a comfortable ride! Although I did find out later that not much balance is required in riding them. Soon after I left the stables, I started riding a Quarter Horse mare for a friend and realized that I didn't have much in the way of a balanced seat. I'm not a natural by any means either, but I almost bit the dust a few times while on her. She was a big, bold, black and white frame overo paint. She was sweet as could be. My friend taught me a number of things while I worked with her. I thank her for that.
I purchased my first horse at 22. He was a gift from my husband, picked out by me. A great beginners horse I found out, but definitely in need of some work. A beautiful buttermilk buckskin; his picture is at the right side of my blog. He seemed to be pretty laid back about most anything, except for the day we met a very large and angry bull on a trail ride. I have never seen a horse change direction and move so fast before! I'll not forget the 3 hour trail ride that we took after my saddle broke. He was never so surefooted, calm, and watchful as he was that day. I'd also never seen a horse sustain a wound to the chest from a T-Post accident quite like his, not once flinch or pull away during 3 solid months of twice daily cold hosing's and scrubbing's of the wound, yet heal with a hairline scar barely noticeable. A few years later I sold him to a young girl who was just getting into horses. He stayed with her for a few years and just recently went on to another young girl.
Before I sold him I had purchased a started 2 year old. He was exactly what I wanted as soon as I saw him; a stout and flashy sorrel. Cash and I had our ups and downs. I didn't get him finished as soon as I would have liked, but by the time he was almost six he was able to understand the different riding abilities between my kids and myself. Due to a mishap at the local vet school during his dental extraction surgery, he had to be put to sleep this past February. I was quite distraught. The school actually offered to help me find another horse and I agreed to let them.
I haven't had that 'big herd of colorful' horses yet, but I feel very fortunate to have been blessed to be able to have these to take care of.


No comments:
Post a Comment