Monday, October 29, 2007

Fall season is almost up...

This was B at Saturday's game. They had a double play and did really well. They won the first game 3-1! They were a little tired by the second game, but still managed to tie that game 3-3, though I thought the game was 4-2...




My team won their game 3-1! The other team only got the 1 goal because of a penalty goal kick. One of my boys accidentally tripped one of their boys in the goal area and that's a no-no. It definitely wasn't intentional (as I've seen on some teams) since the boy who did it is about J's size and no mean bone in his body! They pretty much ran into each other and feet were tangled, but since it was the opposing team trying to score a goal, it was called on us. Oh, well. The boys learned something that day and that's what we want the games to do for them.

We had a meeting scheduled this evening about the future of our soccer association. It was for all parents and coaches involved, to discuss any issues, present any suggestions, etc. Only about 35 people showed up and most of those were coaches...I was very disappointed that out of approximately 450 kids that play in this organization only a handful of parents that don't coach, were actually there. This is strictly a volunteer organization. We want it to grow for the benefit of the children. We are trying to get more improvements for the field. Things just don't appear without any effort!

At the beginning of the season one of the boys asked me, "Coach, how much do you get paid to be here?" I replied, "Absolutely zero." and he just looked at me and smiled. I should have also said the following to them: "I get paid by seeing you learn, by seeing you enjoying yourself out there. I get paid when you say thanks coach, when your hollaring for me, glad to see me as I'm walking to the field for practice or games. When you're happy that you scored or when you're learning a new concept and all of a sudden you get it! I get paid when you high five me and your team mates after a good play, a goal made, or a great block was made against the other team. I get paid when you all are showing team work together and compassion towards your other less experienced team players by helping them to understand their positions. I will get paid when you are happy with the season you played and want to return again next year." I am truely enjoying coaching these kids!

No comments: