I am still upset about the chicks and hens being killed. This morning I had two calls from people I know, wanting eggs...eggs I don't have, eggs I won't have come this fall as I had planned-thanks to some dogs, money I won't make off the eggs I won't have....that's now a waiting list of over 20 people....I really wish I had eggs to sell to them...heck I even wish I had enough eggs to eat myself! LOL!
I think I'll be taking some of the eggs and incubating them. What a fun winter project for the kids and come this spring we'll have eggs if all goes well. A few things have to be taken care of first before that can happen, but hopefully we can do it.
I hope the goats are all bred and that we'll have milk and kids in the spring. I was reading an article about milk today that a friend sent me. Do you know what's in your milk, where it comes from, how it's processed and shipped? Cheaper milk does not mean better. I never buy Wally World milk or other off brands...haven't for a few years now because I think it tastes funny, it goes bad too fast, and it comes from way too many sources that use questionable practices. My family and I don't want or need anything synthetic added to it. I buy Organic whenever possible, which is getting easier to find in my local stores (buy local whenever possible, support your local farmers!). Mostly I'm able to get Horizon Organic in half gallons; I really like their milk. It's only 30-40 cents more per gallon when not on sale than some other brands. I like the cardboard cartons, easier to recycle and the milk does not take on funny odors. I'm also trying to stay away from liquids in plastics...plastics have their own set of issues.
I guess I'm kind of funny about a lot of food. If I can't make it, raise it or grow it for our own use, then I'm a bit leary of it. I even have a hard time eating out. That's one reason I got the goats for milking and meat, plus B is lactose intolerant and will be helping me to milk the girls. I'm funny about eggs (and Chicken meat, although we haven't started raising them for that yet, contrary to what my dang dog thinks), so I got chickens. Plus chickens are just fun to watch and who needs a manure spreader when you have chickens. I have very little problems with manure control near the barn which means less flies! Can't beat that. They make short work of keeping all spilt grains cleaned up too.
I got sheep for meat. Store bought lamb doesn't come close to what we've been eating. Ours is so much more mild in taste and tender. Plus it really costs nothing to feed them...they stay fat on grass in the summer and hay in the winter with a little cracked corn for a couple of months.
We hope to try raising out a calf next spring. I'm researching it now and we'll see.
The pigs are almost ready. They are getting big. I need to go take measurements and see what they weigh now.
Steve remarked yesterday and said that he thinks I was born into the wrong time period! That I should have probably been born around the 1700's. LOL! I need to look the 1700's up and see what was going on then and what life was like. I think that may be a bit too early for me though...we'll see!
Tuesday, October 2, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment