Why is it that my goofy little colt has to bite, taste, grab, and fiddle with every little thing around this place. I even bought the goofball a Jolly Ball in hopes he'd leave more things alone. He does play with it, quite a lot, but he plays with everything else too...the tin on the goat shed, the chicken's tail feathers as the poor dears walk by, a halter he might see on the fence, the water tub, the tarp on the shelter, and now the spigot on the water pipe. Unfortunately he has this fetish about it lately. Maybe I should have sprayed the thing with that bitter apple stuff! We had to wrap the pipe when the cold weather hit last week to keep it from freezing...I should have known he'd discover the newness the next morning! He played with the insulated wrap and then seemed to let it be for a few days. Yesterday he took a big hold of it and pulled...pulled the darn pipe sideways...it was set in concrete when it was put in...of course now it has a crack in the pipe and was spewing water. So I had to dig up the pipe and of course when things like that happen on a farm it's not discovered during the day when it's warmer and light out... There I was in the dark with my little funny headlamp on, digging out the area where the turn off valve was supposed to be, getting wet while water was going everywhere. Come to find out, the valve stem (which we knew had lost the turner last year ) was practically rusted down to nothing! I barely got the water turned off before it broke completely off. So on Steve's next day off we'll be digging up old pipe and concrete and setting a new system...no valves underground! No pipes accessible to horses! LOL!
Tomorrow afternoon I'm going to my friends house to pick out my calf. I won't be bringing him home yet. It rained too much and I can't get the trailer in the yard now.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment