Thursday, September 11, 2008

A visit with the Podiatrist...

I decided to call one up yesterday because I wanted to make sure that Little Wildman's foot was healing properly and to see if there was anything more that we should be doing. Come to find out, we've been doing just fine. It's healing well and closing up. He got a walking boot to help facilitate a bit of pressure to the heel. He is starting to wear it and seems fine with it. I think he'll do anything to be let outside to play somewhat normal again. He hasn't been able to really go out and play since his wound can not get dirty and when you have a farm...you have dirt...and when you have a boy who loves dirt, you have a constantly dirty boy! Not good for the boy who I can't hardly keep shoes on to begin with, although he has seemed to change his attitude towards shoes at this point...a bit late, but hey...he's always been a bit hardheaded.

Then the podiatrist looks at Tall Girl and I (she has now picked that name...she is tall and she is proud of it since it's 'like her Grandpa', she has brown hair 'like her Grandpa', brown eyes 'like her Grandpa', you get the drift...never mind that I birthed the child!). I didn't think we were going to be looked at too, but he was concerned about the way our feet were. He explained about our high arches and how he sees that we walk with our feet coming down and then rolling inward. Which causes us leg/foot strain. We need to have better shoes...I knew that one already but who can afford $50 shoes for kids who grow out of them super fast?! He even suggested that I get proper orthopedic insoles made to support my feet. I'll have to look into that one. I'm sure they cost a fortune.

He also looked at Tall Girl's range of motion in her tendons and calf muscle...or should I say lack there of. She is now the proud owner of a fancy pair of 'night splints'. She has to wear them a minimum of 2 hours a day. She really tried sleeping with them, but for a girl who likes to sleep on her stomach...it just wasn't working for her. She wore them for 5 hours today and when I went to take them off this evening, she was saying that her legs were starting to hurt a bit. I don't want to do too much in one day. She's going to have to wear them for a while. My range was pretty good, but Little Man's was better than us both.

I'll update this post with pics later tomorrow...

No comments: