Wednesday, October 21, 2009

A neat thing happened today....

I was calling around trying to find a guitar teacher for Little Man. There is a new store opening in a little town right near me and it was suggested by a larger store in the city, that I call them. I phoned them this afternoon and though they aren't doing lessons yet, they hope to in the future. But he gave me a number of a semi retired band instructor who has a degree in music from the college here in town and has been teaching for quite some time. Anyways...

The shop owner and I got to talking about Tall Girl's lessons and that I taught them some basic music stuff before she took lessons because I learned to read music while playing the flute in school...he got excited and said, "you do?!", and I explained that I was a little rusty, but yes, that I still played at home and during the holidays at church when they asked me to. He immediately invited me to come and play with the Orchestra in our city....AN ORCHESTRA!!!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! I laughed out loud when he said that. I told him, "I don't think I'm capable of keeping up with that". But the more he spoke to me about it, the more he intended to make me realize that a lot of them are rusty when they start out, but quickly gain proficiency as they start practicing regularly again...so I told him I'd think about it. He was really trying to convince me to come down and try it out next week. Their first practice was this week and they have about 6 concerts a year with half of them being formals and the Christmas one being held at a large historic church near here. He said that they are having a hard time finding flutists even bad ones, lol. I talked to my hubby when he got home from work and he says "Go for it. You may really enjoy it!" So next Tuesday will find my kids at my friends house and me and my flute heading downtown to the college to play a little music in their orchestra hall. Wow....I never even imagined that happening!

No comments: