Friday, August 27, 2010

Week one down...

We've started our exploration of the Pacific Islands, of Captain Cook, Balboa, Magellan. We've learned that their music is fun, the waters are pristine and the wildlife found there has adapted in so many ways. We found out that there is an island that has penguins and that they survive because the waters are colder and teaming full of plentiful things to eat, except for when the currents change and bring warmer waters in...then unfortunately there is a die off of penguins, but that they soon bounce back.

We discovered that there is a giant crab that lives on some of the islands that is the only 'animal' to be able to open a coconut themselves. That they weigh almost that of a newborn baby!

In science we learned why we sweat when a fever breaks. We are coming to understand how the different areas of the brain works different things for our body.

We are also learning to write about observations we make.

Little Man is yet again having to correct his work over and over, because he just doesn't want to write neatly...seriously, I have tried three different programs for his writing. Though it's better than it was a couple of years ago, it's still atrocious. Maybe he's practicing for when he becomes a doctor. I just don't know what else to do. He and I have talked about it and I've fussed, he's had to redo more work than I care to think about. It has been better, but unless he's really thinking about it and going slow, then it's just bad. He and I are going to come up with something....he wants to be able to stay up and watch one episode each night of Munsters with me, while brushing my hair, he says :-) , if his handwriting is neat. He just asked me that a bit ago. We shall see.

Tall Girl is doing a display project on volcanoes these next two weeks. So far she has her poster done-it looks pretty good for her first time.

We are going to be sitting down in a few and looking through some cookbooks for some recipes to try this weekend for our country studies. We'll let you know how that goes and hopefully post some pics of our attempts.

No comments: