We are heading towards the end of our studies on the Pacific Islands. It's been interesting. We had picked out some recipes to try on our adventure and Yaki Udon was last night's choice. It is simply, chicken and vegetable with noodles. It was actually quite good, though I'm sure I didn't prepare it like a person of that culture would, but we got the gist of it.
To start we had to thinly slice all of the vegetables that were to be used, then saute them. We had mushrooms, onions, garlic, carrots, cabbage, bell pepper, zucchini and squash. I cooked them down a little farther than I was supposed to (I like them crisp), but the family would have enjoyed them better that way. We also had to thinly slice the chicken thighs and saute them. The Udon noodles were quickly boiled (think ramen, but 1/4 inch soft noodles from the refrigerator section-they even come with seasoning packs depending on the flavor of broth you want).
We got it all put together and added 4 Tbl of oyster sauce (and a little salt and pepper) while everything was still warm. There were plenty of juices from the vegetables and chicken saute.
Little Man and I love vegetables so this was right up our alley, but Tall Girl was less impressed. Steve actually ate his whole bowl and pronounced it 'not bad at all'. I was surprised that he ate the bell pepper! Little Man was trying to get everyone to eat with the chopsticks he picked out at the Asian market too. He does quite well with them, though he uses them often.
He got that hat at the asian market. He was so excited about getting a 'chinese' hat. The lady just smiled. He loves hats of all kinds.

No comments:
Post a Comment