an anonymous person left a comment on the blog post here about having wool sheep here in the south that I wanted to respond to, but since it was anonymous, I can't just respond to them personally, so I thought I'd do it here..besides others may be curious as to why I raise these sheep.
Gulf Coast Native Sheep are native to our area. They are resistant to worms and have little to no foot problems with our wet conditions. They are quite adapted to our heat and humidity though we do shear them to help them with that. They are docile, tame up fairly easy if one wants, and are excellent mothers who rarely need help in the birthing department. The lambs eat well and produce good weights even with the heat here. Ewes do fine in either season for breeding. They do great on just pasture if it's good quality, with rotational grazing's.
I don't mind wool sheep here and actually enjoy shearing by hand(although Libby #10, was the pits to shear. She will get better though). I'm able to take my time, allow them to understand how to be calm when tied, and it allows them to get used to me touching them all over without fear. Most of the time I sing and talk to them.
Though I'm not at all opposed to the idea of having hair sheep for the lack of shearing, I'd rather keep a breed that is known to do well here; one that is native to our area. It's nice to keep a breed going that has been around for some time
:-) .
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment