I keep thinking...I'll get back to this blog thing, but then I don't...
Having little kids was work, having teens is even harder work! I think mostly I'm a taxi driver :)
We are still homeschooling. It's not always fun, it's not glamorous by any means, and I surely don't always like it, but I will agree with my husband that for our kids it's what's best for their education. They just completed 8th and 9th grade.
I recently had them tested, using a nationally recognized test series, and was pleasantly surprised when the scores came in. Miss Brit scored at a 10th grade level in Math, Science and Social Studies, an 11th grade level in Reading, Quantitative skills and Language Arts, and she scored at a 12th grade level on Verbal skills. Not bad I will say. On a national average she scored Above Average to High on everything.
Jacob scored at a late 8th grade level in Language Arts, 9th grade level in Social Studies and Reading, 10th grade level in Quantitative and Verbal skills, an 11th grade level in Math and Science. On his National Average he scored Average to High.
It was neat to sit and talk with them about what their scores meant and where they needed to work harder to improve. I think it was great for them to see where they fell on a national and state average. Jacob loves the fact that his math scores for his grade level exceeded 99% of those tested at his grade level nationwide :) . Britney was also pleased to see that though she struggles in math, she was doing better than she thought and that with a bit more studying, she would improve.
Now I'm worrying about graduation requirements for two, ACT practice tests, extracurriculars, and just getting through the next few years with my sanity intact! We no longer have much of a farm left...I've learned and taught the kids many things over the years from having it, but there is a time and a season for everything.
My outlet right now is my horses. Unfortunately for Steve I seem to live and breathe it a little too much ;) It's been wonderful finding new friends to ride with, a couple of new horses that are perfect for our needs and new places to ride. Miss Brit is riding more now with me and becoming a better rider every time. She helps me judge equestrian events and learning to work her horse so they become a better team.
Steve seems to be working more now than ever...poor guy. He isn't a management kind of guy...he hates to have to reprimand people. Atleast he will be able to head back to bowling this season with his friends. He really enjoys that.
That's about us for now in a nutshell :) I'll be posting here more about our horse adventures and family travels :)
Sunday, August 4, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment