Friday, August 3, 2007

Chickens!


Ok, the other rooster is sooooo not staying here! He is a pistol and was obviously a fighting bird in his former life. He quickly went after Mr. Roo, who is twice his size, and promptly tried to take him out. Poor bird! I saved him from imminent death and put the offending rooster back into the cage. There he will stay until someone comes and gets him. I called the feed store and left word that I have a rooster that needs to be taken. He'll be gone in no time.

Mr. Roo has since recovered from the ghastly attack and is back to his proud, preening, crowing, hen loving self. I did promise him that I'd never bring another roo here! I think his mind is at ease...at least it looks like it, as he struts by the other rooster in the cage all haughty like with his hens gathered round him! Silly thing.

He will be happy to know that I bought him some future hens today. I have been having so many people ask for eggs to buy and I don't have enough eggs to sell (especially since I've had a hen killed recently). I also haven't had enough for us, so, I bought some chicks today. I decided to go with a 'Brown Layer mix'-it was cheaper than just buying 5 of this and 5 of that to make 25 chicks. I will get 5 different breeds in the mix of 25. I'm hoping to get some Black Australorps, Brahmas, Buff Orpingtons, Delewares, and Silver Laced Wyandottes in that mix. I like a mixed colorful flock. I already have 4 different ones out there right now: Golden Sex Links, Rhode Island Reds, Barred Rocks, and Americanas.
Chicks will be mailed next Wednesday and I should be getting them by Friday! The post office is going to just love me, LOL! Peep, peep, peep, peep!

No comments: