Our church has a large industry called Deseret. It is there to help those that need assistance. Frequently our church responds with aid and help during times of disasters. During Katrina the building in Slidell was one of the few with the ability to help with food, generators, communications out and such as that. The Bishops Storehouses are across the US and are set up sort of like a basic 'grocery store'. Orders are placed and filled every Wednesday and Thursday. Ideally those that are receiving assistance should also be helping to fill orders, but that doesn't happen nearly as often as it should. So many of our wards are assigned a month to serve; April and October are our months. I enjoy going down there. There is always good company to be had and good food to eat after all that work.
They also have a 'Cannery' there where we can order food in bulk and can it for longer term storage. Some of us had placed a large order for our food storage and I was bringing it back with me. Our church advises us to keep atleast a 3 month emergency food storage supply and try for a years basic supplies. I need to get a picture of my pantry and food storage...I wish I had a large walk in pantry...that would be sooooo nice! I did buy quite a big myself: 150 lbs of wheat, 125 lbs of oats, 25 lbs of rice, 21 lbs of elbow macaroni and 21 lbs of spagetti, 2 #10 cans of dried carrots, 2#10 cans dried black beans, some sugar, 3 #10 cans of dried apples and the same of dried onions; that should do us for a while! I had to buy a tarp though since it did start to rain. We had a large load on a pallet and I didn't want those things to get wet.
After loading the truck up. We heard chirping. We looked around and noticed a dead baby bird, but another was near it. We tried to find the nest but it was up on the building somewhere. These little birds were young. Not even fledgelings. Anyways...I heard more chirping and found another. We took them home...I know...bad idea! Also against the law, but we couldn't leave them on the concrete-the trucks roll through there to get loaded...there are no trees either to set them near. One did die today and I thought it might...I figured the fall may have done it. But one is still alive and seems to be thriving so far. It's eating vigorously that's for sure. I checked online for some info on what to feed it. I've made a mash of dog food, tums, vitamins, a few crickets, a bit of water, and hard cooked egg. So far so good. I also got some mealworms at the pet store to give it as well (chopped up of course) and we'll be getting some big worms from the neighbor that I'll chop and feed to it. My friend just grossed out at the whole thing, LOL! I haven't a clue as to what kind it is. It's just tiny! About a third of the size of my palm.

No comments:
Post a Comment