Wednesday, April 9, 2008

What a week....

Things are just going along here. Been busy with all sorts of things. Our 'newer' computer is hooked back up again and we think it's one of the hard drives that was messed up...right now it's just disconnected. I haven't really noticed a difference in not having it...who knows...
So here is the finished walkway. Goodness it looks long! I got 3 red petunia plants to hang on the porch. It looks cute. Now I need to get the mulch to put around the border grass and start looking at some things to plant along the front of the house and the front porch . Oh, the projects that I have written down wanting to do...I wish someone would leave me 5 maybe 6 grand! I could possibly finish most of them, LOL!

My 'little' brother came to visit this past weekend. He will be 14 in August and is a good 3 inches taller than me. The kid already has a mustache! When I took him to the airport he gave me a hug and said: 'Bye little sister'. The ticket taker commented that he was sweet to his sister...she was looking at my daughter! I laughed and told her that he was talking to me. I was his 30 yr old sister and those were my kids behind me! LOL. She looked quite surprised!

I tell you though...we had quite the adventure while he was here. I'll just have to copy and pasted the excerpt from my journal entry! Goodness, I hope we don't repeat that one again!


I'll just title this: "The Red Trail...."

They wanted to go bike riding before Alec left. Well B didn't, but she only wants to sit and play video games all day with the boys...or just by herself if she could. So I didn't care that she didn't want to go. Maybe I should have heeded her want. Because boy did it turn into a fiasco!

We got ready to go. All of the animals had been let out into the yard to eat the grass down, the dogs were put up and we had to get the back seat out of the suburban to load the bikes up. I got my hand smashed really good between the bike handle bars and the top of my suv trying to load it....it hurt like crazy too and I really thought at first after hearing it 'pop', that I'd broke something. I think it was my knuckle that popped though since it seems find now, but awful sore.

We headed out to the Brec park on Hooper Rd to take a little bike path there. Got there, unloaded, smashed the same hand again the same way, unloading the bikes! Goober! We headed out and Alec vears off to the left on the path...it was the red path and he wanted to take it. I should have said no, but I didn't and I wouldn't have such a great story to tell if we hadn't! LOL! It wasn't bad at first. I knew that Steve had taken a little red path with Little Man and while it was a little difficult, it was doable for him. About 20 minutes in was when I started to worry. I should have headed back, but I figured we'd be done soon...it got harder and we started having to help the kids with their bikes. We were having to walk them up and down these crazy hills, washed out areas on the path big enough for the kids bike tires to get stuck or for them to fall in. Briars everywhere and plunging hillsides off these narrow trails! I was just waiting for clumsy Little Man to fall down one, but he didn't, thank goodness! Then somehow we got off that path and it got really hairy. J was upset that he was falling down so much and hurting himself. He said that it was the 'worst day of his life!'. B was back there praying that 'she was too young to die, that she had her dog at home and that she didn't want to stay out here anymore, that she needed to get back home'. She was nervous and started copying things I was saying to myself really or about the path and at one point I was frustrated with where we were and uncertain of where to go...that at one point I turned and yelled, 'Would you just Shut-Up?!'...I felt bad, but she quit repeating me atleast and started mumbling prayers to herself again...They were troopers though and I'm suprised that they didn't just sit down and start crying. An hour and a half into the ordeal, still uncertain where I was, I heard the highway. I figured it was Hooper Rd, but I couldn't see it. We got close and realized that we were near the power lines. There were other trails going off into the woods, but I didn't want to go any further into them. The sun was starting to go down and I'd already seen large 'cat' tracks and snakes everywhere. Alec went to pee on a tree at one point and almost peed on a moccasin! Scared him to death and he didn't have to pee anymore he said! LOL. We came out and stayed along the power lines. I saw the road, but couldn't really see how to get there...it was full of brush, brambles and a lot of water/mud. I didn't want the kids to get hurt or bit by something. I called the Brec park and they sent out a ranger to help us. He drove up along the shoulder of the road and saw us, then found an opening to walk us through. We were a mile and a half from our truck and he drove behind us while we rode our bikes there. Goodness!

Then we were going through the neighborhood near the park...more like 'the hood'! Really it's not that bad, I've seen worse in Baton Rouge. Though many yards had the typical pitbulls/rotties chained up or people walking them around with big chains on-I'd sure like to put those chains around their necks and walk them around periodically jerking on the chains and yelling at them-people like that get on my nerves. Others were playing basketball or just hanging out and staring at us....I guess four dirty white people on bikes, being escorted by a car with flashing green lights does seem a little odd in that neighborhood.

So we get to the truck, start towards home and I call Papa John's to order pizza because I was not cooking! Got put on hold and literally was pulling into the parking space there when they picked the phone back up! I told the lady I was coming in to order since I was already there...I ordered and then headed over to the snowball stand for a chocolate snowball to share with everyone and then over to the gas station to fill up. Headed back to the pizza place and waited for about 8 minutes until our pizza was done. Only come to find out they'd messed our order up and had to remake my Garden Pizza! So I had to wait another 10 minutes and then we finally headed home. He did give us the other pizza that was a mistake for free and apologized profusely. I know that we probably looked like a sorry bunch...

Got home and ate supper. Steve and I headed out to unload the bikes. Then as I was headed inside from that, I smashed the same hand in the same spot on the side of the door frame....nice!


That was our little adventure...my mom called me after Alec arrived saying that she'd been laughing so hard listening to him tell all about our 'adventure'!

Alec did get to help me prune the trees while here. He liked that since he got to use a saw! LOL.







No comments: